Booneville, MS: 662-728-4477
Baldwyn, MS: 662-365-1277
Iuka, MS: 662-423-5921

Protect Your Family From the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

With winter weather affecting us all in our attempts to remain comfortable, it’s also the time of year which presents the greatest risk for an invisible threat. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, invisible gas that results when certain fuels do not burn completely. And it can be deadly. That’s why it’s important to know how to prevent it, detect it, and protect yourself and your family from its effects. In the home, carbon monoxide is most commonly formed by flames and heaters, as well as vehicles or generators that are running in an attached garage. As temperatures drop and more people are cranking the heat and hovering over the stove inside and warming up the car’s engine before hitting the road, it’s especially critical to ensure your family’s safety against this lethal gas. Since carbon monoxide cannot be detected without a carbon monoxide detection device, it is essential to install and maintain one or more detectors in your home.

Detector Tips For Safeguarding Your Household

  • The International Association of Fire Chiefs recommends a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home, including the basement. A detector should be located within 10 feet of each bedroom door, and there should be one near or over any attached garage.
  • Each detector should be replaced every five to six years.
  • Battery-only carbon monoxide detectors tend to go through batteries more frequently than expected. Plug-in detectors with a battery backup (for use if power is interrupted) provide less battery-changing maintenance.
  • Thoroughly read the installation manual that comes with the individual detector you purchase. Manufacturers’ recommendations differ to a certain degree based on research conducted with detectors for specific brands.
  • Remember that carbon monoxide detectors do not serve as smoke detectors and vice versa. You can, however, purchase a dual smoke/carbon monoxide detector that can perform both functions.
  • Do not install carbon monoxide detectors next to fuel-burning appliances, as these appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon startup.

In Case Of Exposure We hope you never have to use the following tips from the Mayo Clinic, but please read on for good information that could help save a life. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been exposed to carbon monoxide, check for the following symptoms:

  • Dull Headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Shortness of Breath
  • confusion
  • Loss of Consciousness

If any of the symptoms exist, move the individual into fresh air and seek emergency medical care immediately.


Cornerstone Insurance & Financial, Inc.
1108 North Second Street
Booneville, MS 38829

Office Hours: 8am to 4:30pm, Fri 8am to 5pm
Tel: (662) 728-4477
Fax: (662) 728-4478

Recent Posts

Though grilling is an extremely popular way to prepare food in the summer, it can also be dangerous. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, gas and charcoal grills account forGrilling Safety Reminders For Your Summer BBQ

Do you have a mortgage? Yes? Then at some point in your home-owning life, you have received a letter telling you that your mortgage has been sold to another lender.Was Your Home Loan Sold? Quick, Call Your Insurance Agent!

This time of year can be just great here in . However, you won't get much fireside snuggling done if your chimney clogs or your roof springs a leak. AndHome Inspections Before Winter Weather Comes

SCHEDULING ITEMS UNDER YOUR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCEPerhaps it's the latest electronic gadget or large screen hi-def television, or new sporting goods gear or maybe a piece of sparkling jewelry. If youScheduling Under Homeowners

Flash floods occur as a result of heavy rainfall, rapid snow thaw, city drains overflowing or dam/levee failures. They occur quickly and unexpectedly, within 6 hours of the events thatFacts About Flash Floods

Site Translator